Bird flu, also known as avian influenza, refers to a viral infection Type A viruses that, spreads among birds and can also infect humans in rare cases. The viruses happen naturally among wild water birds all across the world and can transmit to domestic poultry, animal species and other birds. Although, the bird flu virus does not infect humans. Though, in sporadic cases H5N1 Virus has infected humans.
The initial symptoms of bird flu can occur in no time after a person has been diseased with the infection such as body ache, cough, fever and high fever. Other symptoms may include stomach pain, diarrhea, chest pain, eye infection and bleeding from the gums and nose. Therefore, it normally takes 3 to 5 days for the initial signs to appear. The probable complications of bird flu include acute respiratory illness, organ failure and pneumonia.
How the bird flu spreads to humans?
Generally, the infection is spread by close touch with a diseased bird, dead or alive either by touching the infected bird or their poop or killing or cooking infected poultry or going to the market where birds are sold or travelling to countries where there is an occurrence of bird flu, all these reasons can also cause H5N1Virus.
How to prevent yourself from bird flu?
The best way to protect yourself from avian influenza A virus is to stay away from sources of exposure. Most human infections with bird flu have happened due to direct or close proximity with diseased poultry. Here are a few measures which you can take to protect yourself from bird flu.
- Taking care of good hygiene is very essential. Make sure to wash your hands often with warm water and soap, particularly before and after eating food. Keep an alcohol-based hand sanitizer (at least 60%) in your bag and use it regularly while travelling.
- Avoid visiting outdoor markets and try not to come in contact with live birds and poultry.
- Do not eat raw or undercooked poultry or duck or eggs.
- Consult your doctor before travelling and ask him about a flu shot. Although, it won’t prevent you from the H5N1, but it may can. help in reducing the chances of getting an infection from the bird or other flu viruses.
- Use different utensils for raw meat and cooked food.
- Ensure that the meat is cooked until piping hot.
What you should avoid?
- Stay away from any bird dropping or dead or sick birds
- Don’t visit live animal poultry farm or open air-market
- Don’t eat raw meat or undercooked food or eggs
When to see a doctor
See your doctor on urgent basis, if you are suffering from fever, cough and body pain and severe headache and of late have been to a place where bird flu outbreak has happened. Make sure to inform your doctor, if you have gone to any farms or outdoor markets. Consult our team of health care experts at the Bansal Global Hospital. We at the Bansal Global Hospital have a team of specialized physicians who focuses on complete and integrated health care with a compassionate atmosphere.
Contact us at +919911062832