Transthoracic ultrasound is done by using sound waves to get an image of contents present within the ribcage. The patient is made to lie down and the ultrasound proves is applied on the chest to get an image. It does not require much preparation making it less time-consuming. It can be used to detect a wide range of diseases some of them are listed below:
- It can prove to be a useful tool in assessing vital organs within the thorax when Radiation cannot be used.
- It may help to rule out excess fluid in the chest or pleural cavity.
- Type of fluid in the pleural cavity can be analyzed whether it is due to inflammation or infection.
- It can be used to assess heart and valves which is also known as an echocardiogram.
- Guided ultrasound can be performed to aspirate fluid from a cavity or performing a biopsy.
- Abnormalities in the diaphragm and its movement can be detected using ultrasound.
It is free from radiation and can be safely administered in any population. Generally, there is no discomfort or complications associated with ultrasound though severe obesity can interfere with the imaging. You can now avail the facility to chest ultrasound at Bansal Global Hospital under the supervision of our expert faculty.