Cranial ultrasound is done to get imaging of the brain and cerebrospinal fluid by using sound waves. It is done in cases where other imaging techniques like MRI cannot be done. It is commonly done in infants and can also be performed in adults. This type of ultrasound is a part of a routine examination for the infants who are born prematurely. In these cases, the brain is not formed completely and requires monitoring to rule out complications and brain damage. It can help to detect the following conditions:
- It can be helpful in detecting excess cerebrospinal fluid or hydrocephalus.
- It can detect bleeding within the brain as a result of trauma.
- It can prove helpful in detecting brain tissue damage.
- It may rule out congenital conditions related to the brain.
- Infection or tumour growth can also be detected using ultrasound imaging.
- It can be used to monitor blood flow within the brain.
Ultrasound of cranium is a safe diagnostic technique that does not involve any kind of harmful radiation. It is not associated with any kind of discomfort or side effects. It does not require much preparation and usually requires 30-40 minutes. You can avail the facility of cranial ultrasound at Bansal Global Hospital under the guidance of our experts.