Signs of Flat Feet
What are flat feet?
It is a condition in which the entire sole of the child’s foot presses onto the floor while standing. It occurs when foot’s arc fails to develop. Flat feet are normal in babies as their joints and bones are still developing. 95% of the kids outgrow this condition by the age of six. Only a small percentage of kids with flat feet experience problems.
It is a common condition, very rarely it requires treatment. In most cases the child does not display any symptoms beyond the appearance of the foot.
Children with flat feet may have the following symptoms:
- Awkward walking
- Difficulty moving foot side to side or up and down
- Feeling pain anywhere from the foot to the knee
How the flat feet are diagnosed?
The doctor would examine your child’s foot, look for any differences in its appearance when your child sits and stands. Also, would check for its range of motion when they walk to look for any underlying cause. Your doctor might take x-rays to understand the severity of the condition.
How to fix signs of flat feet in children?
Flat feet normally don’t required treatment. Depending on the severity, your doctor may recommend following treatments:
- Medication: If your child is in pain, certain medications are prescribed to reduce discomfort.
- Physical therapy: Your doctor might suggest some stretching exercises to help with the flat feet.
- Supportive foot wear: Your doctor would advise you to get your kid a proper footwear for their flat feet.
If your child has the above-mentioned symptoms, please consult a paediatric orthopaedics. At Bansal Global Hospital, Delhi, our experts are 24/7 available to help you with your medical concerns. Fix your appointment today at Bansal Global Hospital and contact us at +919911062832.