Genu varum, also known as bow legs are a common condition among children which can persist even in adulthood if not treated in time. In this condition, one or both legs start curving outside and give a bowlike appearance. This may cause changes in walking patterns, pain, and have abnormal appearance. It can lead to several problems in later life such as arthritis.
It can be caused due to a number of reasons which should be diagnosed in childhood to be treated successfully. Some of the reasons are listed below.
- Poor intake of vitamin D or mal-absorption of vitamin D by the body.
- Malnutrition as seen among lower socioeconomic groups or nutritional neglect.
- Congenital problems such as osteogenesis imperfecta or Blount’s disease.
- Poor intake or absorption of calcium within the body.
- Any severe trauma to the lower limb if left untreated may lead to bow legs.
- Poisoning caused by lead or fluoride
Genu varum can be avoided to a certain level by proper nutrition and early detection. If you see any signs of bow legs in your child, call for an appointment at Bansal Global Hospital.