Coffee is the second favorite drink of Indians. The first of course is tea, we assume by popularity. Tea also contains caffeine in a small amount so you can very well include it in the discussion to follow.
So, you must have come across the discussion of tea and coffee being good or bad for health. Which one is actually true? It is good or bad? It’s actually both.
Let’s look into the benefits and drawbacks of caffeine:
Benefits of Caffiene:
- It increases adrenaline levels in your body. That’s why you feel energized for the rest of your work when you have a cup of coffee (or tea).
- It also burns fat but that depends on how you have it. If you have it with full cream milk and loads of sugar, that’s not going to help.
- Some studies have also shown that caffeine reduces the risk of Parkinson’s disease.
- It helps in keeping your body alert.
- It improves cognitive functioning and helps in managing depression or leading towards it.
Drawbacks of Caffiene:
- More than two cups of coffee in a day (regularly) can increase the risk of heart diseases.
- It adds a lot of calories when mixed with milk, cream, and sugar.
- If the quality of the coffee is bad (mixed with impurities), it can cause several health risks.
So, like most things, coffee also has its two sides. Even though it causes indecisiveness whether to continue having it or not, the solution is pretty simple. Limit your coffee dose. Too much caffeine might prove to be harmful. So, limit your coffee intake to 1-2 cups a day. If possible, take it without cream and sugar.
Also, if you have conditions like migraine, or you are pregnant, avoid coffee and other caffeine-containing items completely. For other diseases and conditions, please consult your doctor for the best advice.